Also note our baby arrived in December, so some of the items you will not need if born during during a warmer season, like a car seat cover.
I have provided a list below of what we had packed and I have also crossed out whatever we ended up using, so you can see what we used and did not use to help you plan your own bag. I always tend to over pack since I prefer to be safe rather than sorry! However it would have been nice to have brought less so we didn't have so many bags to carry! Luckily the hospital we delivered at lends you a cart to put all your items on and push to your car.
Here is what we packed in the baby's bag/diaper bag:
- 2 Hats - didn't need as hospital gave us 2
- 1 Set of mittens - didn't need as the shirts they use in the hospital have folded sleeves and so did the take home outfit we brought
- 2 Pairs of socks - didn't use as hospital used blankets to swaddle and take home outfit had footsies
2 Newborn outfits- only used 1 for going home
- 1 0-3 Month outfit - baby was just under 7 lbs, so didn't use
- 2 Burp cloths - didn't use
2 Receiving blankets- only used 1 for going home 1 Fleece blanket
- 2 Pacifiers and 1 pacifier clip - didn't use, not recommended till breastfeeding is established
- Extra disposable newborn diapers - didn't need, hospital provided
- Extra baby wipes - didn't need, hospital provided
- Grooming kit (hair brush, nail clipper, etc) - didn't use
These items weren't in the bag, but in our car ready to go!
Car seat base and car seat Car seat cover Infant head support for car seat
- 1 Robe for mom
- 2 Nursing tanks
2 Nursing bras- Now this is one item I wish I had brought more of!
- Disposable nursing pads - didn't need, milk didn't come in till day 3
- Pajama bottoms for mom
Socks with grips for mom Toiletries for both mom and dad(shampoo, toothpaste, etc - anything you would bring on an overnight trip basically)
- Towel wrap for mom (for laboring in tub) - didn't use, labor was too fast, didn't even labor in tub!
Going home outfit for mom Hair brush, hair ties and bobby pins Pajamas for dad 1 extra outfit for dad
- Heavy overnight pads and
adult diapers- used only 1 for the trip home! Camera
- Breath mints
Breastfeeding pillow(My Brest Friend)
- 2 Pillows - we just used the hospitals
- Breast pump - didn't use, found breastfeeding easier
Energy Drinks- My husband drank one. I actually only had water.
As you can see we didn't use a lot of what we brought, mainly because I had a really quick labor and because the hospital provides so much! They even gave me a bag of supplies to take home! I also ended up wearing the hospital gown because postpartum bleeding is messy and I didn't want to ruin my own clothes. Plus the snaps made breastfeeding convenient.